A bit of a disclaimer

This is only the beginning, i'll get a more comprehensive Profile as time allows. what is more important is the content of the posts, not the ego fulfilling profile---at least for now


I have been stumbling over this part of my profile a while. The question is what will this blog to present to me and all of my readers? The simple answer is politics and opinions o the idiocy that surounds it.

I follow the news in general and politics in particular and have some strong feelings that I want to put out there for every one to read and comment on. I have an out look in life that is rather simple, but I think kind of sophisticated too. My language will not be as multi syllabic as some, nor will my insights be as complicated as others. I am a simple person and have simple thoughts, yet I think sometimes simplicity is a more elegant, and perhaps better, way to to accomplish things.

With this blog I want talk about matters with you and other readers. Perhaps we can see issues in ways that the Know-It-Alls will not. Or maybe we can just entertain ourselves with animated discussion.

I will write about something that has caught my attention---spouting my thoughts and hope others will feel motivated to reply. Sometimes I’ll merely state my take on a subject and throw it out there without trying to prove my point with some one else's words. Other times, if I can find a quote that fits my way of thinking, I’ll use some one else’s opinion.



Tuesday, September 1, 2015

bikes, repairs and memories

It is funny how some things in life,  relatively minor in some cases, can over shadow one's whole outlook.

All of my life I have had a love of motorcycles and riding. My first vehicle was a Honda 175 Scrambler. It looked something like this:
 It set the tone of my life, or maybe it merely reflected the trend it was going toward. Is there a real difference? Back in the day, riding that bike was everything that freedom meant to a loner teenager. I never wanted to be a "Biker." I still don't understand why a hobby that professes individualism, one that celebrates the loner, seems to attract such tribalism. Nor did I really understand why those who rode in gangs found it so appealing. Back in those days of high school glory I liked to ride, ride to no where, I still do. As I got older, that love of riding only grew in intensity. I felt free, unencumbered. I could feel the world flying by. I had control of where I was going.

I played around with the engine on that bike a little, mostly just to see what would happen if I turned a screw here or there. Yet, I never really got into the guts, I never really saw myself as a mechanic. I just wanted to see what would happen.

Well four bikes and way too many years later, I now ride a Harley-Davidson Sportster. When I got on this bike for the first time, it was like the first time on that little Scrambler---the first time I knew how to really ride that thing, I mean.

I have been riding the Grinner for some time now and feel very comfortable on it, but like any high performance machine, even that old Honda, it needs to be maintained. I get to work on the Grinner in order to keep to on the road. Again with the whole mechanic thing getting in the way of riding. 

There are many guys and I suppose gals too, that enjoy working on their bikes I however, find it an impediment to the real reason for having a motorcycle...RIDING THE DARN THING!

Awhile ago, I decided to put new turning signals on the Grinner. Going to the local HD dealer I purchased a nice set to replace the old. They were on sale and seemed simple enough to replace. I got home and shit hit the fan just about from the start. Let's remember that I am a challenged back yard/shadetree mechanic on my best days---they are long past. I ended up having do a lot more than expected. Also, I suspect that I got the wrong part from the start. After two weeks and many calls back to the dealer, I finally got the rear signals working and got the bike put back together. But am still trying to figure out how to install the front.

Yes I did feel a certain sense of accomplishment in completing the task, but I still had the front ones to install and I had a nagging feeling that something was not right. I went on and cut the old signal cables anyhow and proceeded to figure out that the old mount was not compatible with the new equipment. It is a good thing that I did not cut the cables as close to as I could have...

I spliced the old signal back on and remounted it.

At least I was able to ride the grinner to the the shop. I'm Riding Again!

Again, I felt the thrill of riding a powerful machine. I have to admit it was a little muted, my exhilaration that is, by all the crap I had to go through to get to this point, but still...

Now I get to wait 'til Tuesday to figure out what we can do to fix this new issue. At least I can ride now. She is smooth and happy to run for me. The road ahead is long and full of adventure. Even now I feel the pent up frustration leaving, even though the Grinner still needs a little work, it is ready to go and find some fun.

Aw, the life on two wheels.


olc

No comments:

Post a Comment